- Rider comfortable using bike pedals with cleats.
- Comfortable riding with one hand i.e. to signal or grab water.
- Knowing the terrain of a trail for handling of the bike.
- How to fix a flat, general maintenance.
- How to make minor adjustments on the bike(such as gears slipping).
- Knowing elevation to determine speed.
- Riding with lights.
- Being able to handle corners.
- Abrupt stopping and accelerations due to trail and road encumbrances.
- Understanding your effort level based upon terrain.
- How to avoid crashes/how to crash.
- Able to handle hard attacks.
- Comfortable at faster speeds.
- Able to handle descents and ascents.
- Comfortable handling jumps and getting airborne.