- Beginning rafters should be able to handle Class I and II water.
- Maneuver around small rocks and obstacles in the river.
- Understand basic strokes and control of the raft.
- Read the water for hazards large and small.
- Intermediate rafters can handle Class III water including small drops.
- Avoid larger obstacles and handle hydraulic features and standing waves and holes.
- Able to make significant moves to avoid.
- Advanced rafters must handles large volume rivers with the possibility of large rocks.
- Avoid larger standing waves and hydraulics much larger drops.
- Able to outfit the raft for up to Class V rivers.
- Ability to perform must make maneuvers and rescues in heavy current and flows.