Effective date: November 01, 2014
What Information Do We Collect About You and Why?
We may collect information about both businesses and individuals. The information we collect from you allows you to log into our Sites; use our Applications; register for events, activities, or contests (collectively, “events”); and allows us to provide our Services to you. We also use this information to personalize and continually improve our Sites and Services. Generally, we collect information about you directly from you or your use of our services, but in some cases we may collect information about you from third parties, such as the sponsor of a particular Event for which you might have registered.
Information We Collect Directly From You
Account Information for our Sites. You may browse our Sites without creating an online account, but to use certain features, you must create an account. When you create an account with us, we may collect the following:
- Your first and last name
- Your email address and your desired password
- Your display name (this is the name other people will see when you post items to one of our Sites or engage in other similar activities on our site)
- Your date of birth
- Your location information
- Your subscription preferences (whether and what types of information you would like us to send you)
- Information about your activities and interests
- Other profile data, such as contact information, occupation, gender, and photo
- Payment information (if applicable)
- Once you have signed up for a particular THEGOSITE website, on subsequent visits, you will simply enter your User ID and password for that website. In the future, you may be able to use a single log in for all THEGOSITE websites.
Log in and Location Information for our Mobile Applications. When you first visit any of our mobile applications, you will enter your user ID and your password that you use for THEGOSITE and affiliated sites. You will have the option of creating a user ID and password for subsequent visits for our applications. When you log into certain of our applications, we will request your permission to obtain your current location (so-called “geolocation” information) so that we can identify events near you. In the “settings” function on your phone, you also will have the ability to manually request that we record your geolocation information for certain applications or features of applications, for example, so that we can track your running route.
Events and Training Information. As a member of our Sites, you may post information about upcoming events. We will collect the information that you enter about the event. We also may collect information from you if you choose to register for an event on our sites as a participant or record your training activity. For some events, you may register directly on the THEGOSITE website and through our applications; for other events, we may provide a link that directs you to the sponsor or holder of the event. The information that we collect about you may vary based on the event, but generally includes the same type of information that you would include when creating an account with us. If there is a charge to enter the event, and sales for the event are run through THEGOSITE we may collect your credit card billing information, including your credit card number, expiration date, billing and shipping address, and other information necessary to process your payment.
Contests, Surveys and Questionnaires. When you sign up for contests, or complete questionnaires or surveys, we collect the information you submit to us. We use this information to administer the contest or survey, to analyze the results, for research purposes, to send you other information or offers we think may be of interest to you, to comply with legal requirements, and for other purposes as discussed in this Policy.
User Comments and Posts. Our sites and applications may allow users to post content, such as comments, blogs, and messages. If you post content to our Sites, we may collect and use that information. You should also note that such information may be viewed by other members and public visitors to our Sites. Therefore, you should have no expectation of privacy in the information you post to the Sites.
Information We Collect from Facebook
Information We Collect About You From Third Parties
We also may collect information, including personally identifiable information, about you from our affiliates and non-affiliated third parties. For example, where permitted by law, we may share information we collect about you among affiliates to identify products and services that we believe might be of interest to you. As another example, if you register for a race or event by clicking through our Sites, we may obtain your name and contact information from the sponsor of the race; when the race is over, we also may obtain your race time.
Information We Collect Automatically
How Do We Use Your Information?
We use the information that we gather about you for the following purposes:
- To provide our services to you, to communicate with you about your use of our services and for other customer service purposes
- To provide information that you have requested to receive from us in response to your opt-in requests
- To administer events
- To provide results of events
- To tailor content and information that we may send or display to you, or/and to otherwise personalize your experiences while using our sites or services
- To improve our sites and services by providing personalized experiences, location customization, personalized help and/or instructions
- For research purposes
- For marketing and advertising purposes; for example, we may use your information to display targeted advertisements to you on our sites and to assist us in advertising our services on third party websites
- To send you email, follow-up questions about your events, news and newsletters, special offers, and/or promotions
- To better understand how users access and use our sites and our services, both on an aggregated and individualized basis
When and how does THEGOSITE share information it receives?
We may share your information, including personally identifiable information, with other THEGOSITE users and non-affiliated and affiliated third parties.
- Users of THEGOSITE and applications. Your user name and any information that you post to THEGOSITE or our applications, including without limitation pictures, comments and text, will be available to all other users of our sites and our applications. This information also will be searchable by all users of our sites and applications. This information is publicly available upon posting.
- Affiliates. We may disclose the information we collect from you to our affiliates or subsidiaries; however, if we do so, their use and disclosure of your information will be subject to this policy.
- Service Providers. We may disclose the information we collect from you to third party vendors, service providers, contractors or agents who perform functions on our behalf. For example, these providers may help us administer our sites and applications or manage and administer events. These third parties have agreed to maintain the confidentiality, security and integrity of information, and to only use such information for the purposes for which they have been engaged by us.
- Other Non-Affiliated Third Parties. We may disclose the information that we collect about you to non-affiliated third parties, such as promotional partners and others with whom we have marketing or other relationships. Those third parties may use your information for marketing purposes, such as to market products and services that they believe would be of interest to you. We also may combine the information that we collect about you with other information that we obtain from third parties. This information may help us to determine what advertisements to direct to you, to place on our website, and where to advertise our services. As discussed in the advertising section below, you have the right to opt out of certain uses of your information. You also have the ability to opt-into the receipt of certain information from us and non-affiliated third parties. We may share your information to respond to your choices.
We also may share your information for the following reasons:
- Business Transfers. If we are acquired by or merged with another company, if substantially all of our assets are transferred to another company, or as part of a bankruptcy proceeding, we may transfer the information we have collected from you to the acquiring company.
- In Response to Legal Process. We also may disclose the information we collect from you in order to comply with the law, a judicial proceeding, court order or other legal process, such as in response to a subpoena.
- Aggregate and Anonymized Information. We may share aggregate or anonymized information about users with third parties for marketing, advertising, research or similar purposes. For example, if we display advertisements on behalf of a third party, we may share aggregate, demographic information with that third party about the users to whom we displayed the advertisements.
What About Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies?
- Session Cookies. Session cookies exist only during an online session. They disappear from your computer when you close your browser or turn off your computer. We use session cookies to allow our systems to uniquely identify you during a session or while you are logged in to the sites. This allows us to process your online transactions and requests and verify your identity, after you have logged in, as you move through our sites.
- Persistent Cookies. Persistent cookies remain on your computer after you have closed your browser or turned off your computer. We use persistent cookies to track aggregate and statistical information about user activity, which may be combined with other user information.
- Third Party Cookies. We may also engage third parties to track and analyze non-personally and personally identifiable website data and to serve advertisements. To do so, we may permit third parties to apply cookies to users of our sites, where permitted by law, and, subject to your right to opt-out through the Network Advertising Initiative and About Ads (as discussed below). We use the data collected by such third parties to help us administer and improve the quality of the sites and to analyze site usage. Such third parties may combine the information that we provide about you with other information that they have collected. These third parties are required to use your information in accordance with this policy.
- Disabling Cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but if you prefer, you can edit your browser options to block them in future. The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your computer from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. Visitors to our sites who disable their web browsers’ ability to accept cookies will be able to browse the sites; however, many site features, such as the shopping cart, will not function if you disable cookies.
Local Storage Objects. We and our third party service providers may use Flash Local Storage Objects (“Flash LSOs”) in order to store your Site preferences, to personalize your visit or to display content based upon what you view on our sites. Flash LSOs are different from browser cookies because of the amount and type of data stored. In addition, you cannot control, delete or disable the acceptance of Flash LSOs through your browser. For more information on Flash LSOs, or to learn how to manage your settings for Flash cookies, go to the Adobe Flash Player Help Page, choose “Global Storage Settings Panel” and follow the instructions. To see the Flash LSOs currently on your computer, choose “Website Storage Settings Panel” and follow the instructions to review and, if you choose, to delete any specific Flash LSO.
Web Beacons, Pixel Tags and Other Technologies. We use web beacons, such as clear GIFs, web bugs or pixel tags, which are tiny graphics with a unique identifier similar in function to cookies. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on your computer’s hard drive, clear GIFs are embedded invisibly on web pages. We may use clear GIFs in connection with our sites to, among other things, track the activities of website visitors, help us manage content, and compile statistics about website usage. We and our third party service providers also use clear GIFs in HTML e-mails to our customers, to help us track e-mail response rates, measure the success of our marketing campaigns, identify when our e-mails are viewed and track whether our e-mails are forwarded.
Site Analytics. As noted, THEGOSITE works with third party service providers who use the technologies described in this section to conduct website analytics to help us track and understand how visitors use our sites. For example, we use a variety of third party web analytics, to help us improve our sites performance and user experiences.
Third-Party Ad Networks. We may use third parties such as network advertisers to serve advertisements on our sites. Please see the section entitled “Advertising” for additional information about our practices and your choices with regard to receiving such advertisements.
Third Party Applications
Third party applications may be available on our sites. The owners or providers of those third party applications may collect personally identifiable information from you. Their collection of information is bound by their own information collection policies and practices. We are not responsible for the collection and use of your information by third parties.
We display advertisements on our sites. Some of the advertisements are based on the collection of personal information and others are based on the collection of aggregate information. Please see the bottom of this section for opt-out information.
You may opt-out of many third-party ad networks. The website http://www.networkadvertising.org/optout_nonppii.asp provides information regarding this practice by Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”) members, and your choices regarding having this information used by these companies, including how to “opt-out” of third-party ad networks operated by NAI members. You also may contact About Ads at http://www.aboutads.info/choices/ for information about opting out of targeted advertising and your choices regarding having information used by About Ads member companies, including how to “opt-out” of third-party ad networks operated by About Ads members. Opting out of one or more NAI members or About Ad members (many of which will be the same) only means that those members no longer will deliver targeted content or ads to you, but it does not mean you will no longer receive any targeted content or ads on our sites or other websites. You may continue to receive advertisements, for example, based on the particular website that you are viewing. Also, if your browsers are configured to reject cookies when you visit this opt-out page, or you subsequently erase your cookies, use a different computer or change web browsers, your NAI or About Ad opt-out may no longer, be effective. Additional information is available on NAI’s and About Ad’s websites accessible by the above links.
User Generated Content
As stated above, any information that you post to our sites or our applications may be viewable by other THEGOSITE users, as well as visitors to our sites and applications. THEGOSITE` is not responsible for the privacy of any information that you choose to post to our Sites, such as a blog, or for the accuracy of any information contained in those postings. Any information that you disclose becomes public information. We cannot prevent such information from being used in a manner that may violate this Policy, the law or your personal privacy.
At times, our Sites and Applications may contain links to other third party websites. Any access to and use of such linked websites is not governed by this Policy, but, instead, is governed by the privacy policies of those third party websites, and we are not responsible for the information practices of such third party websites.
How Secure Is Information About Me?
We have implemented commercially reasonable precautions, including, where appropriate, password protection, encryption, and SSL to protect our Sites and the information we collect from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Please be aware that despite our best efforts, no data security measures can guarantee 100% security all of the time.
You should take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your password, computer, and web-enabled devices, among other things, by signing off after using a shared computer, inserting a password on your web-enabled device, choosing a password that nobody else knows or can easily guess, and keeping your password private. You should never share your log-in information with others. We are not responsible for any lost, stolen or compromised passwords, or for any activity on your account via unauthorized password activity.
Can I Access and Modify My Personal Information?
You may modify any account information that you have submitted, by logging into your account and updating your information. You may also delete your account if you like. Please note that copies of information that you have updated, modified or deleted may continue to reside in our systems for a period of time.
What Choices Do I Have?
THEGOSITE or one of our affiliated sites may send you emails from time-to-time, for example, to ask you about an event in which you participated. When you join THEGOSITE you also will have the option of signing up for news and offers from us or other third parties, which may include, information about events, our newsletter, special offers or other items that we (or third parties) believe may be of interest to you.
If, at any time, you would like to stop receiving the information that you have requested to receive from us, you may follow the opt-out instructions contained in any such e-mail. Please note that it may take up to 10 business days for us to process opt-out requests. If you opt-out of receiving emails or promotions from us, we still may send you e-mails about your account or any services you have requested or received from us, or for other customer services purposes. If you opt-out of receiving our special deals, the special deals still will be posted on our THEGOSITE website.
To opt-out of products, programs, services or offers from our affiliates and trusted partners, please contact email@example.com or log into your account and update your subscription preferences.
Consent to Transfer Information to the United States
If you are located outside of the United States, please note that information we collect will be transferred to and processed in the United States. By using our sites and applications, you consent to the transfer and processing of your information in the United States, which does not have data protection laws that provide the same level of protection that exists in countries in the European Economic Area. Your consent is voluntary. If, however, you do not consent, then we may not be able to provide you with our services.
THEGOSITE regularly reviews its practices regarding personally identifiable information and this policy. If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at:
Children Under 13
Our Sites and Applications are not designed for children under 13. When you register for an account with us, we require you to submit a birth date. Only those persons age 13 or older may create an account with us. Certain events posted on THEGOSITE and our affiliated sites may be open to children under the age of 13. If registration for such an event is available on THEGOSITE or are affiliated sites, then we require a parent or guardian to register for the child. If registration is through the sponsor of the event, please view the sponsor’s website for information about registering for children.
Changes to this Policy
We may change this policy from time to time, so be sure to check back periodically. We will post any changes to our policy to our Sites here, at http://my.thegosite.com/legal/privacy-policy. If we make any changes to this policy that materially affect our practices with regard to the personal information we have previously collected from you, we will endeavor to provide you with notice in advance of such change, by highlighting the change on the sites or by sending an email to you at the email address that you have registered with us.
Questions about any of our legal terms should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.